Electronic Filing Program for Sales & Use Tax Returns
The Department has the ability to electronically receive and process the
- ST-1, Sales and Use Tax and E911 Surcharge Return; ST-2, Multiple Site Form; ST-1-X, Amended Sales and Use Tax and E911 Surcharge Return; and ST-2-X, Amended Multiple Site Form;
- ST-4, Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority Food and Beverage Tax Return, and the ST-7, Multiple Site Form;
- ST-8, Tire User Fee; and the
- ST-14, Chicago Soft Drink Tax Return.
Participation in the Illinois Electronic Filing Program for sales and related tax returns is available to software developers, transmitters, Electronic Return Originators (EROs), and taxpayers. To enroll, complete Form IL-8633-B, Business Electronic Filing Enrollment.
Note: Participants using our free MyTax Illinois program should not complete Form IL-8633-B unless they plan to use the Illinois Electronic Filing Program in addition to the MyTax Illinois Program.
To use this method of electronic filing, you can write your own software or buy software from an accepted electronic filer (third party). If you wish to create your own software for filing or create software to sell, please refer to the corresponding implementation guide below. Once we have received your IL-8633-B enrollment form, we will contact you regarding testing.
Form ST-1 electronic filing documentation (version ST1V4.0 and ST1XV4.0 effective 8/1/2022)
- STS-81, Implementation Guide for Direct Electronic Filing of Sales and Use Tax (ST-1)
- ST-1 Error Codes
- STS-81-ST1RL - ST-1 Record Layouts and Files Specifications
Form ST-4 electronic filing documentation (version ST4V1.0)
Form ST-8 electronic filing documentation (version ST8V1.0)
Form ST-14 electronic filing documentation (version ST14V1.0)
Level the Playing Field for Illinois Retail Act
For information regarding Certified Service Providers (CSPs) and Certified Automated Systems (CASs), refer to the Resource Page for the Level the Playing Field for Illinois Retail Act.