Skip to main content

Letters and Notices

Letters and Notices for Individual Income Tax

The Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) sends letters and notices to request additional information and support for information you report on your tax return, or to inform you of a change made to your return, balance due or overpayment amount.  Read your notice or letter in its entirety and it will explain the reason for the contact and give you instructions on how to respond, if necessary.  Most of the time if you agree with the information, there is no need to contact us.

What should I do if I receive a letter or notice?


  • Online
    For tax years 2019 and after, if you received one of the letters listed below, you can now submit your support through MyTax Illinois, our online account management program. Support submitted through MyTax Illinois is secure and may help avoid delays associated with information submitted by mail. For more information and instructions, visit MyTax Illinois Help Guide - Respond to a Notice. You can also use MyTax Illinois to check your account balances or view any notices sent to you. To respond through MyTax Illinois, simply login to your existing account or create a new account at  Note: Activate your MyTax Account within 90 days of the date on your letter or notice. After this time period, you will be required to request a new Letter ID to activate your account.
    • Return Correction Notice (IDOR-1-RCN)
    • Taxpayer Notification Response (LTR-402)
    • Taxpayer Notification Response (LTR-402-X)
    • Notice of Claim Denial (LTR-405)
    • Notice of Tax Due (IDOR-2-BILL)
    • Notice of Deficiency (LTR-393-IPD)
    • Erroneous Refund Letter (LTR-359-IPD)
    • Support for Abatement Request (LTR-202)
  • By Mail
    You may also mail your response to the address listed on the letter.

Important: Make sure to respond by the specific due date on the letter or notice to minimize additional interest and penalties and preserve your appeal rights if you do not agree.


If you have a balance due, pay as much as you can, even if you can't pay the full amount you owe. You can pay online or by mail.  Visit our Payments page for more information.

Keep a copy of your notice or letter

It's important to keep a copy of all notices or letters with your tax records. You may need these documents at a later date.

If you received a Return Correction Notice requesting completion of an Illinois Income Verification Questionnaire or an Illinois Residency Verification Questionnaire and did not receive the questionnaire, you can print the questionnaires below.

What should I do if I receive a letter or notice requesting that I verify my identity?

For information about how to respond to an identity verification letter, see Identity Verification Letters Information page.