Skip to main content

Military Pay

You may subtract tax-exempt military pay that is in your AGI, including

  • pay for duty in the armed forces, including basic training,
  • pay for duty as a cadet at the U.S. Military, Air Force, and Coast Guard academies, as a midshipman at the U.S.
    Naval Academy, or in ROTC, and
  • pay for duty for serving in the U.S. Armed Forces Reserves or a National Guard unit, including a National Guard unit of another state.

You may not subtract

  • military income (such as combat pay) that you excluded from your AGI on Form IL-1040, Line 1;
  • pay you received
    • under the Voluntary Separation Incentive;
    • under the Air Force Voluntary Separation Incentive Plan (VSP); 
    • from the military as a civilian;
    • under the Ready Reserve Mobilization Income Insurance Program; or
    • for duty as an officer in the Public Health Service.

You must attach your Form W-2 showing your military pay.

For more information please see Publication 102, Illinois Filing Requirements for Military Personnel.