Skip to main content

Anyone, 6 months of age and older, is eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Find your nearest vaccination location at

Identity Theft Information - Reporting and Preventing Identity Theft and Additional Information and Resources

The Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR), along with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), other states' revenue departments and the entire tax industry, has intensified its efforts to battle identity theft related tax fraud. While identity thieves are constantly changing their tactics, the states, industry and the IRS are taking new steps to battle this issue.

Note: The Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) administers unemployment claims and unemployment insurance taxes. For reporting fraud related to unemployment, visit the Illinois Department of Employment Security webpage "Reporting Unemployment Insurance Fraud".

What is tax-related identity theft?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, tax-related identity theft occurs when someone uses your Social Security number to file a tax return claiming a fraudulent refund.

You may be unaware this has happened until you file your return and discover a return already has been filed using your SSN or, the IRS/Illinois Department of Revenue may send you a letter saying we have identified a suspicious return using your SSN.

What is the Department doing to prevent identity theft and refund fraud?

The Illinois Department of Revenue has partnered with the Internal Revenue Service, the Federation of Tax Administrators, other state revenue agencies, industry partners, financial institutions and the preparer community in the fight against identity theft. These collaboration efforts have brought about a process to quickly recognize suspected Identity Theft returns.

Taxpayers meeting the possible identity theft criteria will be issued a letter requesting verification of their identity. The verification process is simple and can be completed on MyTax Illinois in minutes. This streamlined process should result in faster processing times and refunds being issued more quickly than in the past.

The Department has established an email account dedicated to identity theft. Should you, your business or your clients become a victim of identity theft, you may report it to us at

The Department is highly committed to identity theft protection and the continuation of our partnerships with the Internal Revenue Service, other state agencies and the Security Summit Working Groups to streamline and expedite our processes while protecting our taxpayers.

I received a 1099-G for Unemployment Benefits for which I did not file or receive. How do I report this?

If you receive a Form 1099-G for unemployment benefits you did not receive, go to the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) webpage "Reporting Unemployment Insurance Fraud". This page will guide you on how to report you have received an incorrect/invalid 1099-G. You should still file an accurate tax return, reporting only the income you actually received.

I received a 1099 or W-2 form reporting income that I did not receive. How do I report this?

If you receive any Form 1099 or W-2 that shows income that you did not receive, you should contact the issuer of the form and request a corrected form. You should still file an accurate tax return, reporting only the income you actually received.

I received an Identity Verification letter, what do I do now?

If you receive an Identity Verification letter after you file your Illinois tax return, it does not mean your identity has been compromised. It is simply a check to make sure YOU or your authorized designee filed the return, and it was not an unauthorized individual attempting to commit fraud. The process of responding is easy, just visit and follow the directions you received on the letter. This should take no longer than a few minutes and once completed, your return will process normally. It is advised you verify your identity as soon as you receive the letter. Failure to respond by the due date on the letter will result in your refund not being issued. For more information, see Identity Verification Common Questions.

What if I receive a Return Correction Notice from the Illinois Department of Revenue and I have not filed a return or none of the numbers match the information on my return?

Respond to the notice with the information requested or indicating that you have not filed an Illinois income tax return. Provide a copy of your driver’s license and any other applicable information related to your specific circumstance.

Once we receive your response, we may follow up with a phone call. If we initiate a phone call to you, we will ask you to verify your identity using information that is already in our records.

Can I request a copy of a fraudulently filed return?

A victim of identity theft or a person authorized to obtain the identity theft victim's tax information may request a redacted copy (one with some information blacked-out) of a Fraudulent Illinois Individual Income Tax return that was filed and accepted by the Illinois Department of Revenue using the identity theft victim's name and Social Security number (SSN). For more information, see the FAQs for requesting a copy of a fraudulently filed return and Form IL-4506-F.

How can I protect myself against identity theft?

You can help fight cybercriminals by following simple guidelines to protect your personal information and tax data online.

Use security software with firewall and anti-virus protections. Use automatic updates. Encrypt your tax returns and other sensitive data. Use strong passwords.
Beware of phishing emails. Are you expecting a message from your bank or tax software company to update your account? A link may take you to a fake website that is designed to steal your log-on information. The attachment you open may include a program that allows a thief to get into your sensitive files.
Beware of phone scams. If you get a call from an aggressive or belligerent person who says you will be sued or jailed if you don't make an immediate payment, know this: that person is a fraud. Clever criminals pose as trusted organizations. IDOR will generally contact you by mail before you ever receive a phone call. And remember – if you need to make sure a call is legitimate, you can always just hang up and then dial us yourself.
Protect your personal information. Treat your Social Security number, your driver's license number and other personal data as you would cash – don't leave it lying around. Don't over share on social media.
We encourage you to visit the IRS identity theft webpage for additional information about tax-related identity theft.

Click here for more helpful tips in protecting your identity.

What should I do if I have been notified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or another source that my Social Security number has been compromised?

If you believe you are a victim of tax-related identity theft:

  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at
  • Contact one of the three major credit bureaus to place a "fraud alert" on your credit records:
    • Equifax,, 800-525-6285
    • Experian,, 888-397-3742
    • TransUnion,, 800-680-729
  • Contact your financial institutions and close any financial or credit accounts opened without your permission or tampered with by identity thieves.
  • Submit the following information to the Illinois Department of Revenue:
    • A copy of your driver’s license;
    • Copies of the federal and Illinois Individual Income Tax returns you filed for this reporting period, if you already filed your returns;
    • Note: If you are not required to file in Illinois, you do not need to send us copies of your return.
    • Federal Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit; and
    • Any other information related to your specific circumstance.
    • Please send the information above to:


PO BOX 19049

If you have additional questions and would like to speak to a representative, please call 1 800 732-8866.

What resources are available to me if I have been a victim of identity theft related tax fraud?

We will assist you in resolving any impacts of the fraud on your Illinois Income Tax account. Additional resources include:

Illinois Attorney General’s Office – visit the Attorney General identity theft webpage or contact their office through the Identity Theft Hotline at 1 866-999-5630 or 1 877-844-5461 (TTY). Assistance provided to English, Polish, and Spanish speaking individuals.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) – visit the IRS identity theft webpage.

What is tax fraud and where can I find more information?

Tax fraud includes:


  • Fraudulent filing or non-filing of state corporate income, personal income, or employer withholding tax returns.
  • Fraudulent filing, non-filing, or other tax violations committed by persons engaged in retail sales, including

the illegal sale of unstamped cigarettes, smuggling or hijacking cigarettes, counterfeiting tax stamps, or other attempts to circumvent the state cigarette tax; and
the intentional circumvention of state motor fuel tax laws by persons in the trucking industry or by motor fuel distributors.

Click here for more information and instruction on how to report tax fraud to the Illinois Department of Revenue.

The Illinois Department of Employment Security administers unemployment claims and unemployment insurance taxes. For reporting fraud related to unemployment, visit the Illinois Department of Employment Security webpage "Reporting Unemployment Insurance Fraud".