Skip to main content

Possible online services disruption due to Internet related outage

A worldwide technology outage is causing disruption to some State of Illinois online systems.  We are aware of this issue and are diligently working on restoration.

First Time Filers

If this is your first year filing an Illinois income tax return, there are a couple of options available to you.

  • To file online, use a tax professional or tax preparation software.* All you need is a valid Illinois driver’s license or an Illinois identification card. The information you enter must match exactly what is on your card.  Note: If the information from your Illinois driver's license or Illinois identification card does not match what is on record with the Illinois Secretary of State or if you have recently obtained either your Illinois driver's license or Illinois identification card, you will need to file your first return via paper.
  • To file a paper return, you can download the tax return from our website. Instructions for completing the return are also available for download. 

*Note: You cannot file your return using MyTax Illinois, IDOR’s free online account management program. After you file your first return, you will be able to use MyTax Illinois to file the following tax year and you will also be able to create a MyTax Illinois account to respond to letters, file returns, and make payments on your Illinois individual account.

Basic items and information you will need when you file:

  • Your personal information including both your and your spouse’s (if married), name, year of birth, social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN); mailing address; and county.
  • Your filing status will usually be the same as on your federal return.
  • A copy of your current year federal Form 1040 or 1040SR, federal income tax return, and any federal schedules you completed.
  • Copies of all current year W-2 and 1099 forms. That show Illinois income and withholding. Withholding is included on Schedule IL-WIT.

Other information you may need, if applicable:

For more information, see IL-1040 Instructions.

Note: If this is the first year you are filing a Form IL-1040, your refund will be issued as a paper check.

If you have questions or need assistance, you can