Electricity Distribution & Invested Capital Taxes
Electricity Distribution Tax is imposed on persons who:
- distribute, supply, furnish, or sell electricity for use or consumption (not for resale); and
- are not electric cooperatives, school districts, or units of local government.
Invested Capital Taxes are imposed on:
- persons engaged in the business of distributing, supplying, furnishing or selling electricity who are electric cooperatives and who are subject to the Public Utilities Revenue Tax;
- persons engaged in the business of distributing, supplying, furnishing, or selling natural gas who are subject to the Gas Tax; and
- water companies subject to taxes imposed by the Illinois Income Tax Act.
Note: Municipalities are excluded from the Invested Capital Taxes.
Electricity Distribution Tax - Use the Tax Rate Database to determine the monthly rate, which is based on the kilowatt-hours (kwhs).
Invested Capital Tax - Use the Tax Rate Database to determine tax rate for invested capital.
- Electricity Distribution Tax - None
- Invested Capital Tax - Investments in, and advances to, all corporations.
Form/Filing & Payment Requirements
Return: Form ICT-4, Electricity Distribution and Invested Capital Tax Return, is due March 15 following the end of the reporting year.
Estimated Payments: Payments are due on March 15, June 15, September 15, and December 15. Taxpayers who mail their estimated payments to the department must complete Form ICT-1, Electricity Distribution and Invested Capital Tax Estimated Payment. Do not send Form ICT-1, if you remit your payment by EFT.
A taxpayer with an annual liability of $20,000 or more in the preceding calendar year must remit any tax payment by Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Call us at: 1 217 782-5906
- Mail Form ICT-4 to:
ATTN: INVESTED CAPITAL TAX
ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
PO BOX 19019
SPRINGFIELD IL 62794-9019