How do we correct our filing status?
- I need to change the filing status that was used on my original return. What needs to be done?
- How do I determine my filing status for individual income tax?
- How long do I have to file an amended individual income tax return for a state change?
- May I use your MyTax Illinois program if I am a nonresident or part-year resident of Illinois?
- Who is an Illinois resident?
If you originally filed a joint return, but did not treat both yourself and your spouse as Illinois residents, you must correct that error by either filing a joint Form IL-1040-X treating yourselves as Illinois residents or by filing separate IL-1040-X forms, even if the extended due date has passed. If you file separate IL-1040-X forms, each spouse must list his or her own income separately even if one spouse did not have any Illinois income. Any spouse filing as a nonresident or part-year resident must also attach a completed Schedule NR.
Answers others found helpful
If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.