How far back can I file an amended return to claim a refund based on a state change only?
- How far back can I file an amended return to claim an overpayment based on changes to my federal return?
- How long do I have to file an amended individual income tax return for a state change?
- Can I file Form IL-1040-X if I have not received my refund from my federal amended return?
- I have not received my refund, should I include it on my IL-1040-X?
- Does the department pay interest on refunds?
If your change decreases the tax due to Illinois and you want a refund, you must file an amended return (claim for overpayment) within three years after the extended due date, three years after the date your original return was filed, or one year after the date your Illinois tax was paid, whichever is latest.
Answers others found helpful
If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.