Skip to main content

What are my protest rights?

In certain instances when you receive a protestable notice, you have the right to file a petition with the Illinois Independent Tax Tribunal or a written protest with the Illinois Department of Revenue. In any case other than claim denials, you may elect to bypass the hearing process by paying the total amount due under protest specified in Sections 2a and 2a.1 of the State Officers and Employees Money Disposition Act (30 ILCS 230/2a, 230/2a.1). Your protest rights will be explained on the notice you receive, which includes the time frame to take action. If you do not take action within the time allowed, you waive your rights and the notice becomes final.

Answers others found helpful

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.