Skip to main content

What should I do if I do not have a Social Security number?

You should apply for a Social Security number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration. If you do not qualify for a SSN and were issued an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) by the IRS, write your ITIN on Line A of the Form IL-1040, Individual Income Tax Return, in place of a SSN. You cannot file your IL-1040 with "Applied For" listed in the SSN field. You must wait until you receive either your SSN or ITIN before filing with Illinois.


Answers others found helpful


If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.