Skip to main content

How do I obtain an IL-PIN and do I need it to file?

First-time filers with Illinois are not issued an IL-PIN and may not file their IL-1040, Illinois Individual Income Tax Return, through MyTax Illinois. You may file a paper IL-1040, or, if you have a valid Illinois Driver's License or Illinois State Identification Card, you may be able to use a tax preparer or tax software to file your return electronically.

If you file a joint return, each taxpayer must have an IL-PIN or a valid Illinois Driver's License/ID Card on file with the Illinois Secretary of State to use the tax preparation software.

If you have been assigned an IL-PIN, you may access it by using our IL-PIN Inquiry in MyTax Illinois or calling us at 800 732-8866. Before you make an inquiry, have your Illinois Driver's License/State ID or prior-year adjusted gross income readily available. The IL-PIN is used to activate a MyTax Illinois account, file an IL-1040 for tax years 2012-2021, make a MyTax Illinois payment, request a Letter ID, and file a Form ST-44 and RC-44.

If your filing status or name has changed from last year, you can still use tax preparation software or MyTax Illinois to file online. Visit the MyTax Illinois Help Guide for more information.  

Note: If you are looking for information about your Illinois property’s "parcel number" or "permanent index number" (PIN), see our Property Tax Number Information webpage.


Answers others found helpful

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.