Skip to main content

What should I attach to my IL-1040 if I cannot obtain copies of my W-2 forms?

If you are unable to obtain copies of your W-2 forms you may fill out  Form IL-4852, Substitute for Unobtainable Form W-2, and attach it to your tax return.  You must also attach proof of wages and withholding, such as copies of check stubs or a letter from your employer.

Your check stubs or letter should include the following information:  

  • your name,
  • your Social Security number,
  • tax year,
  • amount of Illinois Income Tax withheld, and
  • total wages.

We will accept a copy of your properly completed federal Form 4852, along with any required attachments, as proof of your Illinois Income Tax withheld from your wages.

Answers others found helpful

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.