Under what circumstances will I be registered as a reseller?
- Register electronically using MyTax Illinois.
- Complete and mail Form REG-1, Illinois Business Registration Application.
- Visit a regional office.
- May I use my certificate of registration to purchase items tax-free?
- How soon after I register my business will I receive my certificate of registration?
- What is the difference between a certificate of registration, resale certificate, tax-exempt number, and license number?
- How do I verify a resale number?
- How do I register with the Illinois Department of Revenue?
You will be registered as a reseller - rather than a retailer - if ALL your sales of tangible personal property, telecommunications, electricity, or natural gas are nontaxable (i.e., all sales are to exempt buyers or for resale) and you want to buy your merchandise exempt from tax from registered Illinois suppliers. To register as a reseller, you may choose one of the following options:
Retailers making purchases for resale purposes should not register as resellers. Instead they should complete Form CRT-61, Certificate of Resale (or a similar form containing the same information) for all merchandise purchased for resale purposes. For additional information, see the Certificate of Resale information page on our website.
Answers others found helpful
If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.