Skip to main content

May I use my Certificate of Registration or License to purchase items exempt from tax?

You cannot use your Certificate of Registration or License by itself to purchase items exempt from tax. You must complete a CRT-61, Certificate of Resale, which is a statement that the property you purchase is for purposes of resale.

You may use other forms or statements in place of Form CRT-61. Certificates of Resale must contain:

  • the seller's name and address;
  • the purchaser's name and address;
  • a description of the property being purchased;
  • a statement that the property is being purchased for resale;
  • the purchaser's signature and date of signing; and
  • either an Illinois Account ID, an Illinois resale number, or a certification of resale to an out-of-state purchaser.

A purchase order signed by the purchaser may be used as a Certificate of Resale if it contains all of the above required information.




Answers others found helpful


If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.