Skip to main content

How long do I have to file an amended individual income tax return for a state change?

If your change decreases the tax due to Illinois and you want a refund, you must file  Form IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return, within

  • three years after the extended due date, 
  • three years after the date your original return was filed, or 
  • one year after the date your Illinois tax was paid, whichever is latest.

Note:  The refund allowed on a claim filed within three years after the original return was filed is limited to the total of all payments made within three years and six months prior to the filing of the refund claim. If your change increases the tax you owe to Illinois, you should file a Form IL-1040-X and pay the tax, penalty, and interest as soon as you realize that it is owed.





Answers others found helpful


If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.