Skip to main content

How do I make changes to my individual income tax return?

If you discover that you made an error on your return after it was filed or if your federal return was adjusted by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), you should file an amended Illinois return using Form IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return. If you are filing Form IL-1040-X due to a federal change, do not file it until you receive notification from the IRS showing it was accepted. For more information, refer to the  Form IL-1040-X Instructions.

Answers others found helpful

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.