- using our IL-PIN inquiry in MyTax Illinois, or
- calling our toll-free number at 1 800-732-8866 and selecting "individual income tax" and "PIN" and following the prompts.
- Can I get an IL-PIN if this is the first time I have filed an individual income tax return with Illinois?
- Can I still use tax preparation software if I do not have an IL-PIN to file my return?
- How does an IL-PIN work with computer software for filing the IL-1040?
- What Illinois individual income tax rebates and property tax rebates are available?
IL-PINs are only assigned to taxpayers who have previously filed an IL-1040 income tax return with the state of Illinois. You may obtain the IL-PIN assigned to you by
Be sure to have your Illinois driver's license/state ID number or prior year adjusted gross income available before you make your inquiry.
However, if you have a valid driver's license, or state ID card issued by the Illinois Secretary of State, you may be able to use a tax preparer or tax software to file your return electronically. Otherwise, you must file a paper Form IL-1040.
Answers others found helpful
If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.