Logon Required When Filing Your IL-1040 with MyTax Illinois - Press Releases & News Archive
Filing Your IL-1040 with MyTax Illinois But Don't Have a Logon?
Don't Delay, Create Your Logon Today!
A logon is required for MyTax Illinois if you plan to use that system to file your Form IL-1040, Individual Income Tax Return. This is different from years past.
If you have not previously created a MyTax Illinois logon, and plan to file your Form IL-1040 through MyTax Illinois, follow the process outlined below. This process can take up to 10 days to fully complete, so don't delay.
Please note: First time filers of Form IL-1040 cannot file through MyTax Illinois or setup a logon.
Setup your MyTax Illinois logon
Step 1 - Request a Letter ID
- Go to mytax.illinois.gov and select Request a Letter ID
- Enter the primary taxpayer's Social Security Number (SSN) and
- ONE of the following: Illinois Driver's License number, Illinois State ID number, or Adjusted Gross Income from the prior year.
- Wait for your mailed letter containing your Letter ID. This can take up to 10 days.
Step 2 - Enter your Letter ID
- Go to mytax.illinois.gov and select "Sign Up"
- Provide the primary taxpayer's SSN, Letter ID, and additional information to complete the setup of your account.
Using your new logon, you can now use MyTax Illinois to file your IL-1040 for free!