Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR

Got Questions?

Chase Debit Card FAQ’s

For taxpayers without an account to direct deposit an income tax refund, the Illinois Department of Revenue is offering a debit card option instead of a paper check. This card will help you avoid costly check-cashing fees. The debit card option is being offered through an agreement with JPMorgan Chase (Chase) and can be used anywhere VISA is accepted. Or, to receive the cash value of your card, please visit to find a Chase bank or ATM location near you. For more information see below.

When an income tax refund debit card ("debit card") is mailed to me, what will the envelope look like?

It will look like this:

debit card envelope

NOTE: Please do not send any correspondence to the return address (PO Box) printed on this envelope.

Return to index

What does a debit card look like?

It will look like the version shown below.

debit card

Return to index

Can I send my debit card back to IDOR and request that a refund check be mailed to me or request that a credit be added to my account?

No.  You will not be able to mail the debit card back to IDOR to request a replacement refund or a credit.

Return to index

Is my debit card ready to use once I receive it?

No.  Before you can use your card, you must first activate it and select a 4-digit PIN (Personal Identification Number).  Logon to or call Chase Customer Services at 1-866-536-8814.  Have the card in front of you when making the call.  You will be prompted to enter your 16-digit card number, Social Security number and Zip code.  Once your card is activated, you may choose option 4 from the main menu to create a PIN in order to withdraw cash at ATMs.  Once you have activated your card don’t forget to sign it.

NOTE: The funds on the Illinois Department of Revenue debit card are available as soon as the card is activated.

Return to index

How will I know the available dollar amount of my debit card?

After you visit or call Chase Customer Service to activate the card, you will see/hear the available dollar amount of the card.  You can also check your account balance at any time:

  • Online at or
  • By calling Chase Customer Service at 1-866-536-8814

Return to index

Is it possible that the refund amount on my debit card may not be the same amount of the refund shown on my state tax return?

Yes.  There are a number of reasons why the available amount on your debit card may be different than the refund amount shown on your Illinois income tax return.  Some reasons may include:

  • the difference may be due to a change made during the processing of your tax return;
  • part of your overpayment may have been offset to pay a liability you might have had with the IRS, IDOR, or any other state, federal or local governmental agency. This may include a school district, public institution of higher education, or circuit court clerk; or
  • you may have directed a portion of your overpayment be applied as an estimated income tax payment for next year.

You can find out the reason for the discrepancy by contacting IDOR Taxpayer Assistance Line at 1-800-732-8866 during business hours, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

Return to index

Where can I use my debit card?

You can use your debit card at:

  • Banks and credit unions displaying the VISA logo
  • ATMs
  • Retail locations (both store front businesses and on-line businesses) that accept VISA
  • Gas stations to purchase fuel.  (However, you will not be able to use the “pay at the pump” feature.  You must go inside and pre-pay for all fuel purchases.)

For more details, please refer to the card carrier and the brochure that accompanied your Chase debit card.

Return to index

How do I use my debit card to get cash at an ATM?

Insert the card into the ATM machine and enter the 4-digit PIN you self-selected during the activation process.

Press “Withdrawal” and then “Checking” and follow the instructions until the transaction is completed.

Chase ATM Locator

Return to index

What is an ATM denial?

An “ATM denial” occurs when you attempt to withdraw more money than is available in your account.

Return to index

What is the difference between a Service Fee and a Surcharge?

A service fee is a fee charged by the card issuer, Chase.  A surcharge is a fee charged by an ATM owner. You will never be charged a service fee OR surcharge when using your card at a Chase ATM. You will be charged a service fee if you use your card more than 3 times at a non-Chase ATM. Additionally, be aware that other ATM owners may also apply a surcharge depending on where you use your card.

Return to index

What if I enter the wrong PIN or forget my PIN?

For security reasons, the card may be locked after three (3) incorrect PIN entries.  If you forget your PIN, you should call Chase Customer Service at 1-866-536-8814.

Return to index

Are there fees imposed when I use my debit card?

In some cases, yes.  Please refer to the chart below (or the card carrier and the brochure that accompanied your Chase debit card).

Type of Transaction

Bank Fees



Chase ATM


Other or non-Chase ATM

No fee from Chase (first 3 times)
May incur a surcharge from ATM owner

International ATM Cash Withdrawal

$3.00 each

Teller Assisted Cash Advance (accepting VISA)


Chase Bank


Other Banks


On-line Transfer to Any U.S. Bank (checking/savings)


Chase Bank


Other Banks


Purchases at Retail Locations (across the U.S)

Unlimited free

Cash back with purchase

Unlimited free

Purchases at Retail Locations (outside the U.S.)

3% of the transaction

Balance Inquiry


On-line at


Chase ATM

1 free, then $0.50 ea.

Other ATMs

1 free, then $0.50 ea.

Return to index

Can I deposit the available balance from my debit card into my bank account?

Yes.  There are two options:

  • If your bank or credit union displays the VISA logo, then visit a teller at your banking institution.  Request a “cash advance” for the available amount of your debit card.  You must know the available balance on the card and must communicate that amount to your teller.  Deposit this amount into your bank account.  *(NOTE: There should be no fees imposed on this transaction.  If your banking institution displays the VISA logo and they impose a fee for the cash advance, please contact Chase Customer Services at 1-866-536-8814.)
  • Transfer the funds to your banking institution at  Chase will not charge a fee if funds are transferred to a bank account.  The receiving bank may impose a fee.  Check with your bank.

Return to index

What if my debit card is lost, stolen, damaged or never received?

Contact Chase Customer Service via or at 1-866-536-8814 to immediately report the card lost, stolen, damaged or not received, and request a new card.  Any remaining balance will be transferred to the new card.  There is one free replacement card allowed per year.  After that, a $7.50 replacement fee will be imposed by Chase.

Return to index

What happens if I receive a debit card, but I don’t activate it right away?

If you don’t activate your debit card within 365 days, your debit card account will be closed and the available balance will be subject to banking regulations governing escheatment for your state of residence.

Return to index

What happens if I activate my debit card, but I don’t begin using it or leave a balance on the card?

After activating your card, it's best to begin using it within the next 365 days to prevent an inactivity fee. After 365 consecutive days of inactivity, Chase will begin charging you an inactivity fee of $1.50 per month until one of the following two situations occur:

  1. The account balance is drawn to $0 (or an amount less than $1.50); and/or
  2. If the account reaches the allowed laws of escheatment (abandoned property or unclaimed funds) for your state of residence, any residual funds in the account will be escheated according to that state’s laws.

NOTE: The taxpayer would have the opportunity to claim the remaining balance just as they would any other funds in a bank account that is surrendered to the Office of the State Treasurer under (abandoned property or unclaimed funds) rules and regulations in the State of Illinois.

Return to index

Will I have on-line access to my debit card account?

Yes.  Visit to activate your card and see the details of your account.

Return to index

Do I have to notify the Illinois Department of Revenue once my debit card has a zero balance?

No.  Once the card has a zero balance, there is nothing more to do.  However, the department recommends shredding the card once it has a zero balance.  Some of Chase bank’s other debit card programs require a multi-step account closure procedure.  The Illinois Department of Revenue’s debit card program does not have any such requirements.  Please disregard any recorded message you may hear from Chase bank’s automated phone and activation line concerning this issue.

Return to index

How do I access my refund if my debit card is less than $20, or not in increments of $20?

ATMs usually dispense money in increments of $20.  If you cannot use an ATM for the remaining balance on your debit card, you may also access your refund by:

  • Making a purchase at a retail location that accepts VISA (both store-front businesses and on-line businesses.)
  • Visiting any bank or credit union that displays the VISA logo and requesting a free teller-assisted cash withdrawal.
  • You can also transfer funds to another account through

NOTE: You will need to know the dollar amount remaining on the card for these transactions.

Return to index

Who can I contact with additional questions?

Visit the IDOR website (24 hours per day / 7 days per week) at to check the status of your income tax refund.               

  • From the homepage, click on “My Refund” within the red box marked “Individuals”.
  • When the next page opens, choose “Income Tax Refund Status Inquiry System”.
  • When the next page opens, please follow the instructions from there.  You will be prompted to enter your Social Security number.


Call IDOR Taxpayer Assistance at 1-800-732-8866 (Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm):

  • To check the status of your income tax refund;
  • If the refund amount on the debit card is different than the refund amount shown on your income tax return;
  • For any other IDOR refund issue.

Contact Chase Bank at or 1-866-536-8814 (24 hours per day / 7 days per week):

  • To activate your debit card;
  • For assistance using your debit card;
  • If your debit card was lost, stolen or damaged;
  • If you did not receive your debit card;
  • To dispute an unauthorized charge;
  • If your debit card was rejected;
  • To check your account balance;
  • For questions on transaction fees;
  • If you forgot your PIN;
  • To locate a Chase Branch or Chase ATM

Return to index