Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR

Got Questions?

When to file Form IL-1040-X

Answer #845 -- ( Published 04/25/2012 09:55 AM | Updated 07/12/2017 10:41 AM )

When must I file an amended return?

Do not file another Form IL-1040 to make changes to a previously filed Form IL-1040. You must file Form IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return, if
  • you discover that you made an error on your Illinois return after it was filed, or
  • your federal return has been adjusted either by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or on a 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, you filed; the change affects your Illinois income, additions, subtractions, exemptions, or credits; and the change is final.

NOTE: If the federal change results in a refund, do not file Form IL-1040-X until you receive notification that your change has been accepted by the IRS.

For more information, see Form IL-1040-X instructions.

Answers others found helpful

Submit a question