Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR

Got Questions?

What if I cannot pay the tax due?

Answer #844 -- ( Published 04/25/2012 09:43 AM | Updated 07/12/2017 10:40 AM )

What if I cannot pay the tax that I owe?

If you cannot pay the tax you owe but you can complete your return on time, file your return by the due date without the payment. This will prevent a late-filing penalty from being assessed. You will, however, owe a late-payment penalty and interest on any tax you owe after the original due date, even if you have an extension of time to file. Options for paying electronically can be found on our website at You may file Form CPP-1, Payment Installment Plan Request, if you have tax delinquencies that you cannot pay in full because of a financial hardship and you would like to enter into a payment installment plan with us.

Answers others found helpful

Submit a question