Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR

Got Questions?

How may I obtain an IFTA license and decals?

Answer #772 -- ( Published 07/11/2017 08:00 AM | Updated 07/12/2017 10:07 AM )

How may I obtain an IFTA license and decals?

Your first step is to decide where your base jurisdiction is. Your base jurisdiction is where

  • your qualified motor vehicles are based for vehicle registration purposes;
  • the operational control and operational records of your qualified motor vehicles are maintained or may be made available; and
  • some miles are accrued by qualified motor vehicles within a fleet.

If your base jurisdiction is Illinois, you must electronically submit Form MFUT-12, Application for Motor Fuel Use Tax, IFTA License, and Decals, using MyTax Illinois to register for motor fuel use tax and receive proper Illinois IFTA credentials.

If Illinois is not your base jurisdiction, you must contact the state in which you are based for specific registration instructions.

Answers others found helpful

Submit a question