Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR

Got Questions?

Should I file if I work out-of-state while I am away at college?

Answer #705 -- ( Published 12/21/2007 09:54 AM | Updated 07/12/2017 10:41 AM )

I work out-of-state while I am away at college.  Do I have to report that income to Illinois?

Yes. You are still an Illinois resident even if you go to school in another state, so you must report your income to Illinois. You should check the filing requirements for the other state in which you worked. You may need to file a tax return with the other state as well. If you have to file a return with the other state, you may be eligible to take a credit for tax paid to other states on Illinois Schedule CR when you file your Illinois return.

Answers others found helpful

Submit a question