Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR

Got Questions?

How do I know if I qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)?

Answer #47 -- ( Published 07/29/2005 12:04 PM | Updated 04/03/2018 9:06 AM )

How do I know if I qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC) on the Illinois Individual Income Tax return?

Generally, if you qualified for a federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC), you also qualify for the Illinois EIC. You must complete Schedule IL-EIC, Illinois Earned Income Credit, to figure your credit amount.

We will review the EIC you claim and we may ask you to provide additional information such as:

  • your city-, state-, or county-issued professional license, registration, or certification (if required for your occupation)
  • sales, business, or withholding tax registration forms
  • your federal return
  • your federal Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ
  • your federal Form 8867 (if you used a paid preparer to file your return)
  • documents you used to calculate your business income and expenses (ledger, spreadsheet, journal, sales slips, receipts, etc.)

Please do not attach this information to your originally-filed Form IL-1040, Individual Income Tax Return. If necessary, we will send you a letter requesting additional documents in order to verify your EIC.

Answers others found helpful

Submit a question