Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR

Got Questions?

Who must file Form RUT-50?

Answer #441 -- ( Published 12/30/2005 11:18 AM | Updated 07/12/2017 10:39 AM )

Who must file Form RUT-50, Vehicle Use Tax Transaction Return?

Form RUT-50 must be filed by a person or business titling a motor vehicle in Illinois when the person or business:

  • purchased or acquired a motor vehicle by gift or transfer from a private party either within or outside Illinois; or
  • moved into Illinois with a motor vehicle he or she owns that was originally purchased or acquired by gift or transfer from a private party.

For more information, see STS-76, Illinois Aircraft/Watercraft and Vehicle Use Tax Information Guide.

Answers others found helpful

Submit a question