Illinois Department of Revenue
Motor Fuel

License & Registration

To determine if you need to register with Illinois as an IFTA carrier you first need to decide if your vehicles are considered "qualified motor vehicles." A qualified motor vehicle is a motor vehicle traveling interstate and is used, designed, or maintained for transportation of persons or property and either
  • having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds
  • having three or more axles regardless of weight; or
  • used in combination and the gross vehicle weight or the registered gross vehicle weight of the combined vehicles exceeds 26,000 pounds.

If you meet these qualifications, you must register with us. Once properly registered, you will be licensed and we will send you motor fuel use tax decals which will allow you to travel in all IFTA jurisdictions.

As a condition of IFTA registration in Illinois, you must first obtain a U.S. DOT number.
  • MFUT-53, Illinois Motor Fuel Use Tax Carrier Compliance Manual

IFTA License and Decals Registration

IFTA license and decals are valid from January 1 to December 31 of each year. A grace period extends through the last day of February of the following year so that you will have time to affix your IFTA decals to your trucks or buses. There is no fee for licensing, however decals cost $3.75 per qualified vehicle.

Click here to fill out Form MFUT-12, Motor Fuel Use Tax, Application for Motor Fuel Use Tax License and Decals.

If you make only occasional trips into or out of Illinois, a Single Trip Permit (STP) may be an alternative to obtaining an IFTA license and decals (and then filing quarterly returns). These STPs are good for 96 hours, and are available through most wire services for an additional fee.

Additional Registration and Bonding Requirements

In addition to Form MFUT-12, Motor Fuel Use Tax, Application for Motor Fuel Use Tax License and Decals, Form REG-1, Illinois Business Registration Application, must be completed by Illinois based commercial motor carriers. IFTA does not administer other state requirements such as vehicle licensing, operating authority, and non-highway fuel tax refunds. When required, a bond shall be equal to at least twice the estimated average tax liability of a quarterly return or $1,000, whichever is greater.

Are there qualified motor vehicles that are exempt in Illinois?

The only qualified motor vehicles exempt from registering for the Motor Fuel Use Tax in Illinois are:

  • school buses (must have school bus license plates)
  • recreational vehicles (cannot be used for business endeavors)
  • state of Illinois or federal vehicles, and
  • qualified motor vehicles operating solely within Illinois for which all motor fuel is purchased within Illinois.

How much are the IFTA license and decals?

Your license is free, the decals cost $3.75 per vehicle.

If I am licensed for IFTA in Illinois, do I need to license in the other states I run in?

No. IFTA is a base-state agreement. This means your Illinois IFTA license is good in every state in the US (except Alaska and Hawaii) and most of Canada.

How long is my IFTA license good for?

IFTA licenses are effective from January 1 through December 31 each year. You must renew with us every year (usually beginning in late October) and may begin displaying your decals for the following year beginning December 1st. Current-year decals must be affixed to your vehicles by February 28th.

Will I need to be bonded in order to obtain an IFTA license and decals?

No…not for first-time applicants. Bonds may be required for just-cause (e.g., when you do not file your reports on time, you did not pay the proper tax, or when an audit indicates problems that warrant a bond).

If I replace a vehicle currently decaled in my fleet with a new vehicle, can I just buy a replacement decal?

No. "Replacement" decals ($2.00) are intended for those decals that may have been stolen, lost, or damaged. Vehicles being placed into service must have a new IFTA decal ($3.75) affixed. Click here to obtain additional decals.

What if I just make one or two trips outside of Illinois during the year, do I need to be licensed?

Yes. But instead of getting a license and decals (and filing quarterly returns), you may opt for a Single Trip Permit (STP). These STP's cost $40, are good for 96 hours, and are available through most wire services for an additional fee.

I just added a new truck to my fleet. What is the quickest way to get additional IFTA decals for this vehicle?

The quickest way to obtain additional decals for your fleet is to stop by our office in Springfield and purchase them here. Please call us weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for details at 217 785-1397.

I have never needed IFTA registration before but I now have an opportunity to conduct business out-of-state. What is the fastest way to get registered for IFTA and buy decals so I get my truck on the road quickly?

If you are a new registrant, you can stop by our office in Springfield and pick up your credentials while you wait (less than 30 minutes in most cases). Please contact us weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 217 785-1397, and we’ll answer any questions you may have about the IFTA program and help you get on the road quickly.

Answer Center
Quick Links
Information For
About IDOR