Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR


Identity theft and its impact on your taxes

Taxes + Security = Together logo

The Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR), along with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), other states' revenue departments and the entire tax industry, has intensified its efforts to battle identity theft related tax fraud. While identity thieves are constantly changing their tactics, the states, industry and the IRS are taking new steps to battle this issue.

You can help fight cybercriminals by following simple guidelines to protect your personal information and tax data online.

We encourage you to visit the IRS identity theft webpage for additional information about tax-related identity theft.

Click here for more helpful tips in protecting your identity.

What should I do if I receive a Return Correction Notice from the Illinois Department of Revenue and I have not filed a return or none of the numbers match the information on my return?

Respond to the notice with the information requested or indicating that you have not filed an Illinois income tax return. Typically, you must provide information to verify your identity. This may include:

Once we receive your response, we may follow up with a phone call. If we initiate a phone call to you, we will NEVER ask you to provide your Social Security number over the phone. Instead, we will ask you to verify your identity using information that is already in our records.

What should I do if I have been notified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or another source that my Social Security number has been compromised?

If you believe you are a victim of tax-related identity theft and you have filed or intend to file an Illinois Form IL-1040, Individual Income Tax Return, please submit the following information:

If you do not intend to file an Illinois Individual Income Tax return, but wish to inform us of the possibility of tax-related identity theft, please submit the following information:

Please send the information above to:

PO BOX 19049

If you have additional questions and would like to speak to a representative, please call 1 800 732-8866.

Can I request a copy of a fraudulently filed return?

A victim of identity theft or a person authorized to obtain the identity theft victim's tax information may request a redacted copy (one with some information blacked-out) of a Fraudulent Illinois Individual Income Tax return that was filed and accepted by the Illinois Department of Revenue using the identity theft victim's name and Social Security number (SSN). For more information, see the FAQs for requesting a copy of a fraudulently filed return and Form IL-4506-F.

What resources are available to me if I have been a victim of identity theft related tax fraud?

We will assist you in resolving any impacts of the fraud on your Illinois Income Tax account. Additional resources include: